- Warm toes. Sheepskin slippers around the house in winter: mandatory in kangaroo land. You have to buy a pair within 6 months of arrival or they kick you out.
- Prometheus. I was SO excited about this film. I saw it and thought it was amazing & beautiful, although felt puzzled and unresolvedy. Then I changed my mind and decided it was too random and not contained enough and there were too many irritating things. Then I changed my mind and decided it was awesome. I still think there were a few too many unscientist-like behaviours, some poor transitions, and one just flatout stupid way to kill a character, but it was wonderful. And I love to leave a cinema and still have much to think about. I might need to see it again. NB: for contex, I hated the tv series Lost.
- Sumo Salad. When I first saw this place in the nearby foodcourt, I didn’t know what all they did. All I could see were trays of pre-prepared deli salads, which really put me off with their thick applications of dressing (I haaaaate too much salad dressing). What I didn’t see is that they also MAKE salads from a menu and some of these are totally delish and you can control the dressing amount. It reminds me of my FAVE place for lunch in London, Tossed on Tottenham Court Rd, which is a similar outlet. But a lot better in their approach to the menu. If I owned Sumo Salad, I’d do something similar to Tossed & make a big bright menu & put it up on the wall, rather than having a small laminate printout on the counter.
- Explodey water pipe. A couple of weeks ago a pipe burst under our kitchen sink. On a Sunday at 10pm. And that’s when we discovered the toby* out front had a broken washer & we couldn’t fully turn off the water to the house. And that’s how we spent a fun evening mopping & throwing down towels & constructing makeshift clamps & learning that if you turn the tap out front on, it lessens the water flow. And now our landlord will be replacing the floor due to water damage, which probably isn’t going to be very convenient!
* mains water tap for non-kiwis